T4: Statistische Physik – Projects
- Searching Fast for a Target on DNA without Falling to Traps
Benichou et al. Searching Fast for a Target on DNA without Falling to Traps. Phys. Rev. Lett. (2009), [paper]
- Biology: How to quickly find a target sequence on DNA?
- Physics: Stochastic processes with multiple states and time scales. First passage times.
- Boltzmann and hydrodynamic description for self-propelled particles
Bertin et al. Boltzmann and hydrodynamic description for self-propelled particles. Phys. Rev. E (2006)
Two huge swarms of birds (movie) SIND WIR REIF? Kinospot von Welt Kompakt (movie)
- Biology: Swarming in animal populations
- Physics: Collective motion of self-propelled interacting agents. Hydrodynamic equations derived from a Boltzmann approach.
Mobility promotes and jeopardizes biodiversity in rock–paper–scissors games
Reichenbach et al. Mobility promotes and jeopardizes biodiversity in rock-paper-scissors games. Nature (2007) [paper]
- Biology: Biodiversity in bacterial populations
- Physics: Stochastic and nonlinear dynamics. Pattern Formation.
Radial Distribution Function of Semiﬂexible Polymers
Wilhelm and Frey Radial Distribution Function of Semiflexible Polymers. Phys Rev Lett (1996)
- Biology: Cytoskeleton of Cells. DNA.
- Physics: Statistical Mechanics of Polymers. Force-Extension Relation and Radial Distribution Function.
The Application of Statistical Physics to Evolutionary Biology
G. Sella and A. E. Hirsh The application of statistical physics to evolutionary biology. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA (2005)
- Biology: Evolution.
- Physics: Stochastic Processes. Probability Distribution Functions. First-Passage Times.
- The Edge of Neutral Evolution in Social Dilemmas
Cremer et al. The edge of neutral evolution in social dilemmas. New J. Phys. (2009)
- Biology: Cooperation in bacterial populations
- Physics: Stochastic Processes. Game Theory.
- Emergence of Agent Swarm Migration and Vortex Formation through Inelastic Collisions
Grossman et al. Emergence of agent swarm migration and vortex formation through inelastic collisions. New J. Phys. (2008) [paper]
- Biology: Pattern formations in swarms.
- Physics: Granular media. Pattern formation.
- Spectral Solutions to Stochastic Models of Gene Expression with Bursts and Regulation
Mugler et al. Spectral solutions to stochastic models of gene expression with bursts and regulation. Phys Rev E (2009)
- Biology: Noise in gene expression.
- Physics: Fock-space formulation of stochastic processes.