F, T6: Computational Physics – Overview
- The Monday exercise-revision lecture will take place from 6-8pm s.t. in room A248 every two weeks (Oct 27, Nov 10, Nov 24, Dec 8). The last one will take place on Mon, Jan 12 (UPDATE).
- The Wednesday morning tutorial has been cancelled because of too low attendance.
Professor: L. Pollet
Phone: 089 / 2180-4593
- Tue 2.15 - 3.45 pm, room A348
- Thu 2.15 - 3.45 pm, room A348
The course is intended at the early Master level. However, advanced Bachelor students can also follow the course. Knowledge of quantum mechanics 1 and statistical mechanics 1 is required. Python2.7 in combination with numpy, scipy and matplotlib will be used in the course, but other object oriented languages such as C++ are also acceptable.
numerical precision, matrix computations and decompositions, root solving, function optimization, data fitting, interpolation, extrapolation, ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, variational methods, integration, Monte Carlo methods, molecular dynamics, (Fast) Fourier transforms, exact diagonalization and the Lanczos algorithm, stochastic optimization, Density Functional Theory, Hartree Fock, band structure
- Philipp O. J.Scherer, Computational Physics, 2nd ed.
- B.A.Stickler and E. Schachinger, Basic Concepts in Computational Physics
- Anne Greenbaum and Timothy P. Chartier, Numerical Methods: design, analysis, and computer implementation of algorithms
- W.H. Press et al, Numerical Recipes in C
- J.M. Thijssen, Computational Physics
- D.P. Landau and K. Binder, Monte Carlo Simulations in Statistical Physics
- G.H. Golub, C.F. van Loan Matrix Computation
- W. Krauth, Statistical Mechanics: Algorithms and Computations
- H. Gould, J. Tobochnik, W. Christian, An Introduction to Computer Simulation Methods: Applications to Physical Systems
Crediting of the course
Details will be announced in due time.
To receive a certificate of your lecture course, please fill out the template with your personal data and either give it to the examiner when taking your examination or submit the form to the secretary´s office (Cordula Weber, Theresienstr. 37 (A), room A408, office hours: Mondays to Thursdays from 8:30am to 1:00 pm).