TVI/TMP-TA1: Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics – Overview
Lectures: Tuesdays 12:15 - 13:45 in room B101
Thursdays 16:15 - 17:45 in room B101
Tutorials: Fridays 12:00 - 14:00 in room A249
Prerequisites: Quantum Mechanics, Statistical Physics
The aim of this course is to learn about basic theoretical concepts and phenomena in solid state systems
Course outline (tentative):
- Crystal structure and phonons
- Band theory of electrons in solids
- Topological Insulators
- Basics of Fermi liquid theory
- Interacting electrons
- Electron transport and the Boltzmann equation
- Linear response theory, dielectric properties of solids
N.W. Ashcroft, N.D. Mermin: "Solid State Physics"
P.M Chaikin, T.C. Lubensky: "Principles of Condensed Matter Physics"
G.D. Mahan: "Condensed Matter in a Nutshell"
additional literature on special topics will be announced in the lecture
9 ETCS credits
There will be a written exam at the end of the course, details will be announced in due time.